Sunday, April 26, 2009

April Flowers

For thoughts on Spring I turned to top Canadian photographer
Freeman Patterson. In his book "the garden" he shares his
strong attachment to gardening. Freeman appears to be
deeply engaged in life. One has the sense that he lives
life to the fullest every moment he can squeeze out of time.


Here is an essay from his book (P.19):

"When the leaves on trees are about the size of squirrels' ears,
when birds returning from months in the south dart around
in search of nesting sites,
and daffodils dance in gardens and meadows,
a deep sense of well-being floods over me.
Everything good in the world seems possible.

My emotional liberation is mirrored by my increased physical activity.
Lying in bed after sunrise seems incomprehensible.
Politely, but firmly
I refuse to attend meetings, particularly in the evenings.
I neglect my basement work area, disown my computer and
spend every possible moment outdoors. In short, I make room
for receiving the gift of spring.

As I wonder along field and forrest paths long covered in snow,
sniffing the breeze to savour the rich moist tang of the soil and
the drifting ambrosial hints from flowers blooming somewhere,
I observe variations of colour that appear at no other time of
year-delicate, warm and sprightly hues. I reconnect with the earth
and sense the incredible surge of creativity around me, and within me.


And I garden. I can't help it. My whole being longs to be
engaged in the birthing process. This is not a hobby but an
essential aspect of who I am. For me, not to garden would
be saying No to life itself".

Here I share some of my shots of April flowers to illustrate
Freeman's words.
aprilflowers012009
aprilflowers022009

aprilfloers032009
aprilflowers042009

aprilflowers052009
april flowers072009


Have-a-spring-in-your-step kind of day.

No comments:

Post a Comment