Thursday, January 7, 2010

Desert poem


vogueamangirijan2010


Dear Everyone:

I am enjoying my new book of
poetry titled "Grace" by Wanda Campbell
(2009).

This poem I am posting today
ends with the line -"To grow where
you're planted is an art. Only grace
can irrigate the arid heart."

I am interested in concepts of grace
and spirituality.

This is exemplified by the practice
of soul artist, Laura Hollick,
of Hamilton, Ontario (see
http://www.soulartstudio.com/).

See the poem:

"Teach me how to love the
difficult dry
to elegantly endure jade and tall
under a devouring dessert sky
even when the rain chooses not to fall

I want to be the common cactus that
treasures quench against
the sun's refining fire.
I want to be the cereus that
blooms only when the
stars and moon are shining

I don't want to be afraid of the dark
parched by worries and defeated by drought
What axe and adze will
build the living ark
that somehow keeps the water
in not out?

To grow where you're planted
is an art
Only grace can irrigate
the arid heart"

You have seen the image before
but I thought it illustrated
the poem beautifully.

Have a day full
of juxtapositions and
possibilities.

Helen.

No comments:

Post a Comment