Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Artistic blogs and web-sites

Well it is a rainy day this morning and I have no images I
wish to share.

I thought that I would share some of my favourite blogs
and web-sites.

For interior design there is top Cuban-born American designer
Vicente Wolf. He shares a mix of professional advice and
snippets from his life in New York and the Hamptons. He might
give his feedback on a movie or advise interior designers on
how to bill a job. His blog is vicentewolfblog.com.

Vicente is also a photographer and consummate world traveller.
He has published two books so far: "Learning to See" and
"Crossing Boundaries". A third book is due this fall.
He enjoys subtle colours- pale blues, greys, beiges and
ginger. He mixes custom made seating with ethnic artifacts
and controlled spaces. One signature is to lean a large
mirror against the wall. Under his press section look
up Love thy Neighbour's loft. It showcases his home
apartment and that of a friend and neighbour and is
truly the work of a great talent.

For interior design web-sites with a lot of portfolio shared
there is glamourous Kelly Wearstler in Hollywood
at www.kwid.com. Check out her work in the press
,magazines and newspapers, by scrolling through the articles
in her press section. I like her glamourous style but find it works
more for hotels, restaurants and stores than residences in
my opinion. She has a new book called "HUE" coming out this fall
that highlights her use of colour in various projects which I can
hardly wait to buy and browse through. Her work is very original.

www.darrylcarter.com also hands out a big press section
in Darryl's portfolio. His style is very spartan. Very stripped back.
He keeps to white, oatmeal and black colour schemes and
showcases a curator's eye for furniture, fabrics and antiques.
To see more of his pared back sophisticated style read his book
"The New Traditional".


Orlando Diaz-Azcuy just has one image on his web-site to date
but it is worth looking up. His internet address is www.odada.net.
He is the subject of a new book recently by Diane Dorrans Saeks and
I am saving it to read on my birthday. His style is very glamourous
and as far as I can tell looks like a high-style museum.

For photography I visit Canadian landscape photographer
Andrew Collett at his well-constructed web-site at
www.andrewcollett.com. He shares his portfolio,
has a feature photo section, provides technical instruction
and advertises workshops. His work does showcase
Algonquin park and other wilderness sites.

As well, I follow Nova Scotian award-winning photographer
Margot Metcalfe at www.secordgallery.com.
Her work is known for it's contemplative nature.
She has been supportive to me and believed in me and steered
me to the provincial arts association known as VANS.
I can say nothing but good about her.

For art I visit www.secordgallery.com and
www.jobealegallery.net. Both Nova Scotian.
Phil Secord and his staff, Holly and Jennifer,
are very expert and he does mostly all
of my framing. He has a full-fledged stable
of artists at the gallery. Jo Beale lives and works in
Peggy's cove. See her series of nudes,
Peggy's cove scenes or images of apple
trees from the Annapolis Valey.

For inuit art I track www.houston-north-gallery.ns.ca.
This gallery is part of the scope of the famous Houston's.
James and Alma Houston virtually founded a
commercial structure in Canada for Inuit art
and this gallery is run by their son, John, a film-maker
in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia. I enjoy seeing
the annual Cape Dorset collection each fall
and have collected a few prints from these collections.

For more fun I follow artist Flora Doehler
as she and her husband get settled in
the arts community of Bear River at
floramary.wordpress.com. They detail
their experience getting established in Bear
River after a move from Toronto
a couple of years ago and track both their
artwork and their experience
renovating a gothic farmhouse.
I believe they move in iminently.
She is a painter and her husband Larry is a
metalsmith. Flora insisted I start a blog
when she heard from me for which I am
very grateful.

In Toronto I track portrait artist
Barmara Muir, a daily blogger.
Her site is barbaramuir.blogspot.com.
She and Flora are friends and fellow bloggers.
Barbara blogs daily.

Finally I track interior design commentary
at mrsblandings.blogspot.com and
habituallychic.blogspot.com.

For my soul I track wildlife and land
conservation agencies- The Nova Scotia
Nature Trust (nsnt.ca) and the
World Wildlife Fund (www.worldwildlife.org).

I hope that you enjoy some of these sites
depending on your level of interest.

Have a enjoy-cocooning -when -you -get -the
chance -kind of day. (this sign-off is a signature
of Barbara Muir).

No comments:

Post a Comment