Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Surrounded by Green

surroundedbygreen022009
surroundedbygreen032009

surroundedbygreen052009


surroundedbygreen062009



surroundedbygreen2009

In the last few days- driving around my
neighbourhood I have noticed the leaves out
in full now. They create a surround.
a surround of green- like being immersed
in the colour green.

I took some shots to try to capture this feeling.
As well, the green surround reminded me of
a quote from a book on British textile designer
and artist Carolyn Quartermaine. The book
is Carolyn Quatermaine Revealed (Rizzoli,
1997). See p. 30

"Able to isolate colours, to see their historical
and artistic resonances Carolyn Quatermaine
then spins them off in some startling new direction.
When she does something as innocent as placing
a cheap blue plastic bag behind lollipops covered
in an aquamarine-and-white scrolled foil, so that
the light shines through it, there is nevertheless
a colour-inspired association driving the choices
she makes. "for me, this blue is like a drink, it
is the colour of seawater in the Mediterranean,
a colour of sea so tempting I can never resist
diving into it-totally immersing myself in it.
When the light comes through the bag it immediately
makes me think of the sea, of the slow lapping of
shallow water onto sandy beach". She can evoke
a sandy cove, parasols and the heavy heat of the
Mediterranean with her choice of transparent,
watery blues".


This immersion in colour she speaks of is how I feel
righ tnowout and about with all the green foliage
of nature.

I hope that you enjoy these images.

Have an enjoy-nature-kind of day.

Helen.

No comments:

Post a Comment