Sunday, April 4, 2010

Lower "l" for landscape 2010

Lower'l'for landscape012010
Lower 'l' for landscape022010

Dear Everyone:

I have been inspired to
paint rocks and roses with
acrylic paint and form a vignette-
like a miniature landscape hence
the title "Lower 'l' for landscape".

This new direction for my work
was inspired by internationally
recognized landscape artist
Andy Goldsworthy.
He manipulates leaves,
branches, snow, ice, sand, clay and rocks
in installations in the outside world
or occasionally a gallery that may
only last as long as a few hours
before the tide washes them away.
One example was stitching a quilt of autumn
leaves on the trunk of a tree with thorns.
Another example is making a cairn of
slabs of ice or rock on a beach before
the tide washes in.
Not keen on public viewers/spectators he photographs
his work to be then shared with the outside world.

I have his book "Time" (2000) New York-Abrams Press.

Residing in Scotland he works all over the world.
My next source of inspiration is Vancouver artist
Eszter Burghardt. For her recent exhibit
at the Bau-Xi gallery (Toronto) she photographed
miniature dioramas made of wool dyed and sculpted
to resemble the landscapes of Iceland.

The exhibit is titled "Wooly Sagas".

I want my work to interact with the
outside environment with such materials
as rocks, feathers and trees.

I hope that you enjoy these initial
images. I am keen to see where
this new work takes me.
Lastly, I must acknowedge soul artist
Laura Hollick of Hamilton, Ontario
who has urged her pupils/students to follow
their spirit and let their soul manifest
itself in creativity and pursuit of dreams.


I picked up my paintbrush to
paint a beach rock right after
listening to one of her teleclasses


Helen.

No comments:

Post a Comment